CICS task life time storage

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

CICS task life time storage

Postby crios » Wed 19 Jun 2013, 05:58

I have a problem with the working storage variables in my CICS program.

As I know working storage is task life time, it's aquired when task starts, and released when task terminates.

Why in the 2nd task, I'm still getting the value when 1st task ends.

Code: Select all
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.                               

01 WS-MIN-MAX.                                         
   05 MIN-VALUE             PIC X(14) VALUE 'ABCDEFGH'.
   05 MAX-VALUE             PIC X(14) VALUE 'XXXXXXX '.

01 WS-POS                       PIC S9(04) COMP VALUE 0.

01 WS-OUTPUT.                                           
   05 WS-CODE-VALUE             PIC X(14).             
   05 WS-CODE-DESC              PIC X(16).             

LINKAGE SECTION.                                               

01  DFHCOMMAREA                 PIC X(32000).                   
 PROCEDURE DIVISION.                                             

EXEC CICS ENTER TRACENUM(1)                                 
                     FROM(WS-CODE-VALUE)                         
     END-EXEC                                                   

I think WS-CODE-VALUE in TRACENUM(1) should be empty, but it's not. It seems that the value from previous task is kept, unless I initialize them.
crios

Re: CICS task life time storage

Postby prino » Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:26

Never assume storage to contain anything specific, unless LE is running with one of the very expensive options to initialize storage, or unless you initialize storage yourself!

The answer is moot anyway,as the CICS system on FanDeZhi is currently dead and nobody knows when it will be up again. Also, this non-FanDeZhi specific question stands more chance of getting an answer when posted on either of the two fora mentioned in the FAQ.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby crios » Thu 20 Jun 2013, 01:22

prino wrote:Never assume storage to contain anything specific, unless LE is running with one of the very expensive options to initialize storage, or unless you initialize storage yourself!

The answer is moot anyway,as the CICS system on FanDeZhi is currently dead and nobody knows when it will be up again. Also, this non-FanDeZhi specific question stands more chance of getting an answer when posted on either of the two fora mentioned in the FAQ.

I just want to think it through.

Although the manual says

If you specify a dsa_alloc_value, performance is likely to be poor.

Use STORAGE(NONE,NONE,NONE,0K) when you are not debugging.

I still customerize the LE to use STORAGE(NONE,NONE,00,0K) by running the SMP/E job CEEWCOPT (with customerized CEECOPT), my ADCD 1.04 is too old to support CEEPRMxx.

When I start CICS this morning, the first thing I do is to test the transaction.

When I run it for the first time, the value is x'00'
Code: Select all
EXEC CICS ENTER TRACENUM   
 TRACENUM (X'0001')       
 FROM (X'0000000000000000')

But if I run it 2nd or 3rd time, it's not empty again. The value from previous task is kept.

Now my doubt is growing.

1. Is STORAGE(NONE,NONE,00,0K) only formats the dsa to x'00' when CICS starts? It will not reinitialize it when the used storage has been release at task ends.
2. You said never assumed the storage to contain any specific value, how do you explain the value remains the same. If the storage is released by the 1st task, how could the same storage area be aquired by the 2nd task repeatedly.
crios

Postby crios » Thu 20 Jun 2013, 01:37

And I just encoutner one more problem.

I've started a 2nd 3270 terminal, it has no response after I try to CEDF the same transaction when the debugging on the other terminal is not completed.

Isn't it reentrant? Why I can't run them simultaneously?
crios

Postby steve-myers » Thu 20 Jun 2013, 03:10

I will repeat what Mr. Prins stated earlier in this thread.This forum in intended for users of the Fandezhi system. Since CICS is dead at present, the material you have presented so far cannot have anything to do with Fandezhi. There are other forums on the Internet that are probably a better source for solutions to the problem you appear to be having. I echo what Mr. Prins stated earlier: use more appropriate forums.
steve-myers

Postby crios » Thu 20 Jun 2013, 03:41

steve-myers wrote:I will repeat what Mr. Prins stated earlier in this thread.This forum in intended for users of the Fandezhi system. Since CICS is dead at present, the material you have presented so far cannot have anything to do with Fandezhi. There are other forums on the Internet that are probably a better source for solutions to the problem you appear to be having. I echo what Mr. Prins stated earlier: use more appropriate forums.

Sorry, I don't have any idea what had happened to this forum. The majority of the members were Chinese and the site was in Chinese. I was astonished to find the site with a complete new look after not visiting for several months. There's no sign of the old member like hunter zhou, who usually answers the questions raised by others regarding the z/OS system programming/administration no matter it's fandezhi or the system setup by others.
crios

Postby prino » Thu 20 Jun 2013, 06:12

I do not know what's happened with the Chinese forum, maybe sfan (who seems in charge of the forum, might want to PM him) can tell. As for hunter, if he was around, CICS would not be down. I know that others have PM'ed him, but he has not been on the forum since October 2012, so I'm really not sure as to what's happened with him.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby steve-myers » Sun 23 Jun 2013, 04:53

crios wrote:...I was astonished to find the site with a complete new look after not visiting for several months. ...
I see you just obtained an ID for the site. I have been using the site for 3 years now, and its "look" has not changed in that time, Your claim of "several months'" appears to be faulty memory or a complete fabrication.
steve-myers

Postby prino » Sun 23 Jun 2013, 05:08

steve-myers wrote:
crios wrote:...I was astonished to find the site with a complete new look after not visiting for several months. ...
I see you just obtained an ID for the site. I have been using the site for 3 years now, and its "look" has not changed in that time, Your claim of "several months'" appears to be faulty memory or a complete fabrication.

No, there actually was another site directly accessible via efglobe.com (somehow) with a Chinese language forum.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe