Unable to connect to fenDenzhi host

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Unable to connect to fenDenzhi host

Postby ludodudu » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:30

Hi,
I'm newbie of mainframe and emulator 3270 so be patient with me.
I registered and i recived the email with the TN3270 telnet hostname and TN3270 Telnet Port.
On my IBM Personal Comunications(5.5) I set the host name (fandezhi.efglobe.com) and the port(23), I also set the proxy configuration.
When I try to connect I get " host name not specified or not found".
I'm not able to understand which and where is the problem.
I tryed to disable the firewall of my PC, I tryed to use the Ip instead fandezhi.efglobe.com, I tryed to disable the firewall of my PC ad to delete the proxy configuration on IBM Personal Comunication but in all tests I've done I get " host name not specified or not found".
Obviously via browswer I've not any problem to connect on fandezhi.efglobe.com.

Can you help me?
Thanks!
ludodudu

Re: Unable to connect to fenDenzhi host

Postby prino » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 12:49

Have you tried with one of the other emulators mentioned in the FAQ, i.e. x3270 or Tom Brennan's Vista tn3270?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby ludodudu » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:17

No, but I try now .
thanks
Last edited by ludodudu on Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
ludodudu

Postby ludodudu » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:37

I tried both emulators. In both case i get "timeout while connecting" :cry:
ludodudu

Postby prino » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:48

I'm afraid I cannot help you any further, I'm currently logged-on on (using Vista tn3270), and I have no problems. If you've got a fast unlimited broadband connection, you might try downloading a Linux Live CD, obviously one containing x3270, and try it with that.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby steve-myers » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 15:29

On my IBM Personal Comunications(5.5) I set the host name (fandezhi.efglobe.com) and the port(23), I also set the proxy configuration.
"Proxy configuration"? Are you attempting to access Fandezhi from a corporate terminal? If that's true it sounds like access is prohibited by your corporation.
steve-myers

Postby prino » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 16:56

steve-myers wrote:
"Proxy configuration"? Are you attempting to access Fandezhi from a corporate terminal? If that's true it sounds like access is prohibited by your corporation.

Which would be what I would expect,as it would open a security hole wide enough to let an A380 through...
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby nclouston » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 09:16

From TS's first post:
newbie of mainframe
nclouston

Postby ludodudu » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 09:48

The problem as you highlighted is my corporate lan.
I tryed at home and it work.
Maybe you can tell me what I've to ask to unlock from proxy to make it work even from the corporate network?
ludodudu

Postby steve-myers » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 15:35

Just to remind you.The use of the Fandezhi system for training is prohibited. Period. Full stop. End of story. When the admins catch a user using the system for training the user is immediately banned. This happens quite often since every "third" world street corner "training" establishment think it is their right to use Fandezhi for training.

I have configured several TN3270 emulators (including PCOMM) since the 1990s. Not once have I encountered the term "proxy" used in the configuration. I have seen this term used in other things, but, except for web browsers, I've never had to use it.

As for your corporate LAN. No one here knows its configuration or standards. I very much doubt anyone in this forum can assist you.
steve-myers

Postby ludodudu » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 06:30

steve-myers wrote:Just to remind you.The use of the Fandezhi system for training is prohibited. Period. Full stop. End of story. When the admins catch a user using the system for training the user is immediately banned. This happens quite often since every "third" world street corner "training" establishment think it is their right to use Fandezhi for training.

I have configured several TN3270 emulators (including PCOMM) since the 1990s. Not once have I encountered the term "proxy" used in the configuration. I have seen this term used in other things, but, except for web browsers, I've never had to use it.

As for your corporate LAN. No one here knows its configuration or standards. I very much doubt anyone in this forum can assist you.

Well... I' dindn't found this rule, so maybe you can post me the reference?
In second maybe there is a clean todo on the web, becouse I found differente site thet spoke about Dezhi Mainframes as a fantastic platform, for somebody who wants to learn Mainframe Programming, at home.
ludodudu

Postby steve-myers » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 09:26

Evidently you did not bother to read - along with nearly everyone else - those annoying screens you get when you logon, but on the very first screen - at the bottom - is

Please note that use of this system for corporate training
purposes is not allowed under any circumstances!

This has been repeated numerous times in this forum.
steve-myers

Postby ludodudu » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 09:44

steve-myers wrote:Evidently you did not bother to read - along with nearly everyone else - those annoying screens you get when you logon, but on the very first screen - at the bottom - is

Please note that use of this system for corporate training
purposes is not allowed under any circumstances!

This has been repeated numerous times in this forum.

Thanks!
Well I'm lucky because is not for corporate training but it's personal training :D .
Maybe I've to explain that I'm studying while I'm in standby waiting for a new work allocation, but even if I'm not working I have to come to the office :( ...
It's for this reason that I'm using corporate lan.

So clarify that is for personal training the only way to use Dezhi Mainframes is bypass the proxy?
ludodudu

Postby steve-myers » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:11

ludodudu wrote:... Well I'm lucky because is not for corporate training but it's personal training :D .
Maybe I've to explain that I'm studying while I'm in standby waiting for a new work allocation, but even if I'm not working I have to come to the office :( ...
It's for this reason that I'm using corporate lan.

So clarify that is for personal training the only way to use Dezhi Mainframes is bypass the proxy?
The admins have no way to determine if training is "corporate training" or "personal training." Training is training. There are three reasons why training is prohibited.
  1. The capacity of the system is extremely limited.
  2. Trainees require a good deal of assistance. It is not possible to provide this assistance.
  3. Many training scripts are not designed for systems like Fandezhi. They include instructions to perform tasks that are, in fact, prohibited in nearly all z/OS installations, including Fandezhi. While it might be possible to configure Fandezhi to allow these training scripts to execute, the admins do not have access to the training scripts, and have neither the time, or interest, to configure the system so the training script can be run. Some training scripts, for example, require the trainee to allocate TEST.xxx data sets, which is not possible unless the system is configured to allow this foolishness. Some time ago the admins constructed a TEST.WARNING data set to try to discourage trainees from doing this. In the last two weeks some fool attempted to delete the data set! Not only did it not work, but the fool found himself banned.
You mentioned web sites that claim Fandezhi is a good tool for trainees. These web sites are not endorsed by the owner of Fandezhi, or by the Fandezhi's administrators.
steve-myers

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe