Some doubts in Password

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Some doubts in Password

Postby IVANSAM » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 07:51

Dear administrators,
I have applied the User ID in this website named IVANSAM , with the password longer the 7 characters. And i can use this user ID and the password to log on this websit. However i can't log on TSO in the machine installed ZOS by using this user ID and password. I find the machine only have 7 blank available for password while my password is longer than 7 characters. SO I don't know how to log on the machine using this user ID.
Please help me! Thinks
IVANSAM

Re: Some doubts in Password

Postby steve-myers » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:16

I do not understand the problem you claim to be having. A TSO userid has a maximum length of 7 bytes. I think this was a design issue back in the 1960s when TSO was first designed. The password has a maximum length of 8 bytes in the Fandezhi system. I know for a fact that 8 byte passwords work fine: the password I presently use -- in fact all the passwords I have ever used to access the Fandezhi z/OS system -- contained 8 bytes.

The userid and password you use to use this web site have nothing to do with the userid and password used to access the Fandezhi z/OS system.

There were 2 reasons for 7 byte userids in the 1960s. The userid data base mechanism used for userid validation only had 7 bytes available for the userid. In addition, a TSO control area called the PSCB (Protected Step Control Block) has just 7 bytes available for the userid. The PSCB is still in use today, and the userid data area is still just 7 bytes. See SYS1.MACLIB(IKJPSCB). Another TSO data area called the UPT (User Profile Table, SYS1.MACLIB(IKJUPT)) added a field somewhat later for what amounts to the userid - the default high level qualifier for data set names. I don't know which came first in the 1960s: the PSCB or the antiquated userid data base mechanism used in the 1960s. RACF was just a dream then.

RACF in more recent z/OS releases than is used in Fandezhi provides "password phrases" that can be longer than 8 bytes, and for passwords with mixed cases. It took several z/OS releases to get password phrases and mixed case passwords working properly; both RACF and ISV provided security systems needed work, but as far as I know everyone is on board.
steve-myers

Postby IVANSAM » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:44

Hi steve-myers,
Thank you for your explanation. Now I want to simplify my question and make it clear to understand.

My question is how can I get the TSO user ID and password to visit the Fandezhi z/OS system.

You pointed that"The userid and password you use to use this web site have nothing to do with the userid and password used to access the Fandezhi z/OS system."
So it seems i should apply another user ID in somewhere to use the Fandezhi z/OS system.
IVANSAM

Postby steve-myers » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:10

IVANSAM wrote:... My question is how can I get the TSO user ID and password to visit the Fandezhi z/OS system. ...
Why didn't study the Mainframe FAQ section of this forum? I'm quite certain you will find the answer to your query there.
steve-myers

Postby prino » Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:00

Far more to the point, why doesn't your employer, Beyondsoft, provide you with access to an up-to-date z/OS system? If they think they can offload you to FanDeZhi at zero-cost for themselves, you may find that your access to the system will be of a very short duration...
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby IVANSAM » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 13:42

I want to emphasize that although take a job from my employer called Beyondsoft, I don't use Mainframe technic.
That means i learn this Mainframe knowledge has nothing to do with my employer.
it's my individual behave, just for selt-learning instead of commercial purpose. So please let stay here.

I found my TSO id have deleted. Can you help me to reactive it?
TSO ID: IVANSAM

Best wishes!!
IVANSAM

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe