Unable to login TSO

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Unable to login TSO

Postby tdarcos » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 01:45

I have the username tdarcos. I am trying to learn CICS and how to create a screen map. I've been programming for many years and it's one thing I'm not familiar with (where I learned way back in college we had VM, OS/VS1 and MUSIC, I actually did systems programming in college years ago on MUSIC on a 4331 using Fortran, if you can believe it) and before that I wasn't using an IBM, I was using a Univac 90/60 (a 360/370 clone) with VS9, and their operating system is radically different and from what I've seen of ISPF, probably superior to anything IBM released). Well, apparently the standard CICS macros for creating a screen panel are not in SYS1.MACLIB and so through a lot of work I found out that they're somewhere in CICSTS23, then I found what file it was, I think from this, it's CICSTS23.CICS.SDFHMAC,

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... fhp3nl.htm

This one I think then tells where to find the standard IBM assembler cataloged procedure (which the reference rules here don't mention)
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v ... 021163.htm

(IBM has lots of documentation and lots of files. Finding anything is a lot of work. It's not like finding a needle in a haystack. It's like finding a particular colored hay stalk in 50 square miles of haystacks. To paraphrase Original Adventure, "You are in a twisty maze of IBM documentation. 30 million files, all alike.")

My account is locked out of TSO so clearly I did something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I was not trying to look at anyone else's files or violate anyone's privacy), I was just trying to find where some of the macros like DFHMSD / DFHMDF are located (and possibly the copy libraries for COBOL) reading the directory of that PDS file CICSTS23.CICS.SDFHMAC confirmed these members were there so I think I was in the right place. But reading some of the messages here I get the impression I should copy the macro library and not reference it in a job stream?

I'm curious what I did wrong, if for no other reason than to keep from doing it again.

I want to try running some of the programs from the CBT tapes, of which I have the complete library of all 1200 tapes and I've been reading through a lot of the assembler files. I was looking at one on tape 159, and in 5 seconds I noticed a minor error, nothing serious [ he loads a register with a value, never uses that register, then goes back and retrieves the value off of index in register 13 from the registers saved in STM 14,12,12(13) ] but the fact I could spot an error in assembly code that fast told me I should go back to working on Mainframes. Looking at the same file, within less than a minute I spotted a second error. I knew I was pretty good; this amazed even me.

I tried e-mailing someone here, but the messages bounced so I'm just curious what I did wrong. I have mainframe experience, I just don't have it on TSO and CICS and I can't find anywhere else that's even teaching classes in it, or I'd take one. (I'm legally disabled so I can take college classes for free.) This was the first place I've found that offers anything at all. I even offered to work for free for Arlington County, Virginia, to get some practice - I was not asking for any help, I can learn any system - and their remarks were that they had no people available or time to train anyone. I didn't ask for any training, i can learn anything. I learned PHP in a week, self-taught and in six months I was really good at it. And I still know IBM mainframe Assembler and Cobol (you just don't see a lot of call for it these days.)

It burns me that I offered them the equivalent of probably several thousand dollars of free labor and I was turned down.

And we wonder why nobody can find mainframe programmers. They're eating the seed corn and refusing to plant anything, then complain when there's no harvest.

Any help anyone wants to offer to tell me what I did wrong would be appreciated.
Paul Robinson <paul@paul-robinson.us> http://paul-robinson.us (My Blog)
"The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."
tdarcos

Re: Unable to login TSO

Postby prino » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 05:36

Paul,

You caused two RACF violations on user catalogs, the first one is below:

Code: Select all
ICH408I USER(TDARCOS ) GROUP(USERG02 ) NAME(PAUL ROBINSON       ) 295
  USERCAT.Z16.CICS CL(DATASET ) VOL(Z6CIC1)
  INSUFFICIENT ACCESS AUTHORITY
  FROM USERCAT.** (G)
  ACCESS INTENT(ALTER  )  ACCESS ALLOWED(UPDATE )
IEC161I 040(056,006,IGG0CLFT)-002,TDARCOS,SYSUSER SYSUSER,SYS00038,,,
IEC161I USERCAT.Z16.CICS
IEC161I 072-053,TDARCOS,SYSUSER SYSUSER,SYS00039,,, 297
IEC161I CICSTS23.CCBDBA2.INVOICE,CICSTS23.CCBDBA2.INVOICE.DATA,
IEC161I USERCAT.Z16.CICS

Give your lengthy explanation, you're obviously not a clueless newbie from "there", so I've removed your ban. You will have to reallocate your datasets. As for the RACF violation, I don't know what the dataset that you tried to access contains, nor who created it. It is old (2007) so may very well have been created in the days that anyone could more or less do anything.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 08:10

The procs for the High Level Assembler are in (of all strange places) SYS1.PROCLIB.

I downloaded CBT159 and looked at it. Some parts of it require the program / library to be APF authorized, which is not allowed on the Fandezhi system.

The usual method for an unauthorized program to locate UCBs is by using the COPY option of the UCBSCAN macro. See http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... 0118122540

Good luck.
steve-myers

Postby tdarcos » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:28

prino wrote:Paul,
[item deleted]
Give your lengthy explanation, you're obviously not a clueless newbie from "there",

I wouldn't be so sure about that. As I tell people, I think I'm pretty good, but I'll get better when I have more experience as I've only been doing programming for 34 years.
prino wrote:so I've removed your ban.

Thank you.
prino wrote:You will have to reallocate your datasets. As for the RACF violation, I don't know what the dataset that you tried to access contains, nor who created it. It is old (2007) so may very well have been created in the days that anyone could more or less do anything.

They were binary files, and not interesting. Maybe they're data files used by sample applications rather than sample applications. I saw "invoice" and thought maybe it's an example of a program that shows invoices.

I figured anything starting with a name of CICSTS23 was stuff supplied by IBM, so I looked at a couple of files, figuring they were examples of programs IBM supplied to show how to write applications that ran under CICS. I think they have released a few example insurance company programs that show how you'd browse a file, create a screen map, and so on.

My big interest is source code, Assembler or Cobol because you have to read code in order to get good at writing it. So I do like to look at Macro libraries because I'm sure IBM has talented people.

I did an interview for a programmer job the other day, and the guy asked me, if they hired me, what would be the first thing I'd do. I said, "Sit down and read some of the code your people have written, for the simple reason that I have my own rules about how to format code, but you may have your own shop standards, and I have to write it to match the way other people here write it, if for no other reason than to allow the next guy to be able to fix what I do. I mean, I'm not going to be here forever, either I'll go elsewhere or they'll carry me out in a box and someone else is going to have to fix what I've done. And, it might be that I'm the "someone else" who has to do it. This way, six months later I don't have to look at a piece of code and ask, 'What brain-dead moron wrote this?' then look at the comments and discover I was the brain-dead moron."
Last edited by tdarcos on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
"The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons that history teaches us."
tdarcos

Postby tdarcos » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:59

steve-myers wrote:The procs for the High Level Assembler are in (of all strange places) SYS1.PROCLIB.

Not strange. SYS1.PROCLIB is the default library for all catalogued JCL procedures; that's been a standard for over 25 years. If you don't define it in your job stream it has to be there, unless you have an immediate Proclib of your own which I think has to be right after your job statement.

steve-myers wrote:I downloaded CBT159 and looked at it.

That wasn't the one I was planning to implement. It just happened to be one I stumbled upon that I looked at.

There's one that has a program in 370 Assembler that draws and solves mazes. I wanted to see how it compares to a Delphi program that does the same thing (and runs under Free Pascal.)

Actually, if I can figure out how to get Free Pascal to generate 370 assembler code or object code and support programs running either on OS/VS1 (err, I mean zOS) or CICS, it's my intent to find a way to implement Free Pascal on the mainframe, giving the 370/zSystem a world-class open source Object Pascal compiler that you could use as an alternative to Cobol or C for writing either batch applications or possibly for CICS transactions. I don't know if IBM's VS Pascal is up to the level of Object Pascal, I have to read the manuals as I didn't know they were still offering it. When I last saw it, it wasn't very good, compared to say, Turbo Pascal. Even the source-available Pascal 8000 issued by the Australian Atomic Energy Commission and the one from Stanford University are still more-or-less standard Pascal, they don't support Unit compilation and objects.

So one of the things I need to do is use various compilers' run time libraries to see which ones provide all the appropriate services needed. Borrow a little from this and a bit from that.

steve-myers wrote:Some parts of it require the program / library to be APF authorized, which is not allowed on the Fandezhi system.

Reading the notices I figured that out immediately! I don't think I'm going to need it.

steve-myers wrote:The usual method for an unauthorized program to locate UCBs is by using the COPY option of the UCBSCAN macro. See http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... 0118122540

Good luck.

It wasn't the UCB scan function I was interested in as much as the command interpretation code, where you compare the commands someone uses to a table.

There's also a disassembler on one of the CBT tapes. Much better than IBM's as it won't look at anything - including your own code - if it sees the word "copyright" in it. I want to see how it compares to the disassembler I wrote in Fortran 25 years ago. If you're wondering how you can write a disassembler in Fortran, well, judicious use of subroutines and arrays will get you almost anywhere in memory.

And I want to see how "real" CICS compares to Don Higgins' simulation in Java that runs on Windows. Running on a simulation is one thing, it's another being able to actually see how a real dinosaur eats. (Said in the most sympathetic way possible. The corporate mascot for Sinclair gasoline was cute. And the TV show was funny. Like the line where the boss says, "Since I blew all of your pension fund at the track I thought I should buy something for you guys.")
tdarcos

Postby tdarcos » Thu 14 Nov 2013, 13:09

[item deleted]
Give your lengthy explanation, you're obviously not a clueless newbie from "there",

I wouldn't be so sure about that. As I tell people, I think I'm pretty good, but I'll get better when I have more experience as I've only been doing programming for 34 years.
prino wrote:so I've removed your ban.

Thank you.
prino wrote:You will have to reallocate your datasets. As for the RACF violation, I don't know what the dataset that you tried to access contains, nor who created it. It is old (2007) so may very well have been created in the days that anyone could more or less do anything.

They were binary files, and not interesting. Maybe they're data files used by sample applications rather than sample applications. I saw "invoice" and thought maybe it's an example of a program that shows invoices.

I figured anything starting with a name of CICSTS23 was stuff supplied by IBM, so I looked at a couple of files, figuring they were examples of programs IBM supplied to show how to write applications that ran under CICS. I think they have released a few example insurance company programs that show how you'd browse a file, create a screen map, and so on.

My big interest is source code, Assembler or Cobol because you have to read code in order to get good at writing it. So I do like to look at Macro libraries because I'm sure IBM has talented people.

On the other hand, the standard error macro IHBERMAC is a huge mess.

I did an interview for a programmer job the other day, and the guy asked me, if they hired me, what would be the first thing I'd do. I said, "Sit down and read some of the code your people have written, for the simple reason that I have my own rules about how to format code, but you may have your own shop standards, and I have to write it to match the way other people here write it, if for no other reason than to allow the next guy to be able to work on what I've done. I mean, I'm not going to be here forever, either I'll go elsewhere or they'll carry me out in a box and someone else is going to have to provide maintenance for what I've done. And, it might be that I'm the "someone else" who has to do it. This way, six months later I don't have to look at a piece of code and ask, 'What brain-dead moron wrote this?' then look at the comments and discover I was the brain-dead moron."
tdarcos

Postby tdarcos » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 17:15

You caused two RACF violations on user catalogs... Give your lengthy explanation, you're obviously not a clueless newbie from "there", so I've removed your ban.

The system still says my account is not authorized for use with TSO.
tdarcos

Postby steve-myers » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 20:16

The tdarcos account now has TSO access.

The only time I had any interaction with what became the Univac /360 sort of clone was when they were RCA in the summer of 1969? or 1970?. The only batch was a sort of clumsy half baked DOS/360, and I remember thinking it was junk, compared to OS/360. Well, compared with OS/360, DOS/360 was junk, but at that point in my career I didn't know how bad DOS/360 was.

There are many ways to get the user catalog error that caused you to be dinged a while ago. Unfortunately, most are innocent, but the admins key on the ACCESS INTENT(ALTER and bann the id.
steve-myers

Postby rsilver » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 01:01

tdarcos...this works for map assembly

//RSILVERJ JOB (12345678),'RSILVER',MSGCLASS=H,                         
//             MSGLEVEL=(1,1),CLASS=A,                                 
//             NOTIFY=&SYSUID,REGION=200M                               
//*------------------------------------------------------------------*//
//* PROCLIB                                                          *//
//COB    JCLLIB ORDER=(SYSFAN.PROCLIB)                                 
//* ASSEMBLE MAP                                                     *//
//MAPASM  EXEC DFHMAPS,                                                 
//             MAPLIB='SYSFAN.CICS.LOAD', <= CICS LOAD LIB FOR PHYS MAPS
//             DSCTLIB='RSILVER.DGIDATA', <= COPY LIB FOR SYMBOLIC MAPS
//             MAPNAME='MAT030N'          <= MAPSET NAME               
//*                                                                     
//COPY.SYSUT1 DD DISP=SHR,DSN=RSILVER.DGIBMS(MAT030N)                   

I can then logon CICS and use CECI SEN MAP(MAT030N)..was using a rexx exec in my lib rsilver.exec to invoke SDFII but it seems to be not working now as I caused ISPF to ABEND...I have some good examples of a CICS program and can explain the assem macros DFHMSD, DFHMSI, DFHMSF farily well...with your experience you should have no problem picking up on this and I think I can grant you access to my datasets ...I think that is allowed on Fandezhi...let me know if you are interested....currently involved in big project at Bank of America in Charlotte NC ....lots of z/OS batch, Teradata, Neteeza, etc....total different world than batch and CICS online
Richard (Rick) Silvers

E-mail.......: rsilvers@mebtel.net or rick_silvers@rsilvers.com
My Website: http://www.rsilvers.com/
Webmaster: http://main.nc.us/yancey/
rsilver

Postby steve-myers » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 02:38

rsilver wrote:... tdarcos...this works for map assembly

//MAPASM  EXEC DFHMAPS,                                                 
//*                                                                     

... I think I can grant you access to my datasets ...I think that is allowed on Fandezhi...

• The JCLLIB is not necessary: SYSFAN.PROCLIB is already in the JES2 PROC00 definition, and it's the first library there.
  • Mr. Silver can give tdarcos access to his data sets, but the admins discourage this, though they do not prohibit it, and will not provide any assistance. Don't give UPDATE or ALTER; they watch for actual accesses and tend to ban both sides if it happens.
  • Just a few minutes (around 20:00 US Easter time) ago I tried to TSO logon to TDARCOS. I definitely got past where it verifies the ID is authorized to use TSO.
steve-myers

Postby tdarcos » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 07:50

steve-myers wrote:The tdarcos account now has TSO access.

The only time I had any interaction with what became the Univac /360 sort of clone was when they were RCA in the summer of 1969? or 1970?. The only batch was a sort of clumsy half baked DOS/360, and I remember thinking it was junk, compared to OS/360.

RCA tried to compete with IBM in the mainframe market, then threw in the towel after losing $500 million (in 1970s dollars, by the way). They sold part of their hardware business (such as their CCM terminal controller) to Singer Corporation. The rest was sold to Sperry Unisys.

Sperry needed their own equivalent to IBM's terminal concentrator (that's what the CCM was), so they made their own, called the MCC. Sperry also took the operating system, called TSOS, made some improvements, and renamed it VS/9. They kept "TSOS" as the equivalent to "root" on Unix/Linux. You knew that you were in trouble if you could see the operator's console and the infamous message, "MCC-16 inoperable," it meant the terminal controller has crashed, the operator has to do the equivalent of (today) rebooting the controller, and you've been logged off as a result. You have to log back on but anything you were doing is gone.

I used IBM Mainframe DOS at one place I worked while using a 3rd party terminal service program called Conman and it wasn't too bad, it's actually better than TSO. IBM Mainframe DOS Batch sucks worse than a broken vacuum cleaner. Fujitsu/Siemens still continues to sell their version of TSOS, and they even have the same editor, EDT (not to be confused with the program of the same name from Digital Equipment Corporation.) EDT was the "crown jewel" of VS/9, and it alone was better than the entire IBM OS/VS1 (or z/OS) operating system, since Univac's EDT alone nearly had the functionality of an entire operating system. You can actually read the PDF of the Fujitsu release of EDT and see that it was probably the most powerful text editor ever developed. Surprisingly, EDT gives you a lot of power with a very gentle learning curve; it's not hard to learn the syntax and you can be productive using it in a matter of hours. Digital's TECO editor, on the other hand, has a lot of power but it's very cryptic and has a near vertical steepness in its learning curve, and can take weeks or months to get good at using it.

I look back on EDT and VS/9 fondly, and think if we had had this kind of easy-to-use while reasonably powerful class of tools, people would still be using mainframes because they weren't horrible to use and underpowered in capability. You can download the manuals for Fujitsu EDT here: http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/index.php ... 3389-15556 and it has the 4 manuals of the latest release, which is 17.0c. (It was version 2 or 3 when I was using it, so it's gone a long way since then.)

If they released EDT today with tabbed editing, it would probably still exceed what is possible in most other text editors out today. And it was originally written over 30 years ago! Sometimes when you get it right it can still be good decades later.

The only thing that mainframes have going for them is their ruthless efficiency to handle big data and humongous transaction volumes at very low cost and they scale fantastically vs. PC-class computers.

VS/9 was vastly superior as an operating system than anything IBM ever released, and makes OS batch look like what it is, the computer equivalent of bear clubs and stone axes. Even McGill University's MUSIC/SP exceeds any IBM offering for usability. About the only thing that IBM has made that exceeds the quality of the products Univac released was CICS to the extent it is used for transaction processing. In that respect it is probably superior for developing pre-Web file browsing and data entry applications.

Well, compared with OS/360, DOS/360 was junk, but at that point in my career I didn't know how bad DOS/360 was.

(Sound of Gene Rayburn reading question card) DOS/360 is sooo bad....
(Audience screaming) HOW BAD IS IT?
... that if it wasn't IBM selling it, it would have run the company that did so into chapter 11. MS-DOS has more functionality. (Actually I should have put a "blank" in there somewhere to go on with the joke.)

There are many ways to get the user catalog error that caused you to be dinged a while ago. Unfortunately, most are innocent, but the admins key on the ACCESS INTENT(ALTER and bann the id.

When you have no way to know what is going on and with the huge number of clueless or malicious people around it's understandable they have to react first and then make corrections later.
Last edited by tdarcos on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
tdarcos

Postby steve-myers » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 13:39

The fundamental problem with OS/360 was they had to stuff JCL into 12K (32K system storage, 20K OS nucleus), and then keep the same JCL for systems with more storage so it was effectively the same across the product line.

DOS/360 had a slightly different problem; it was never a true disk based system; it was a tape resident system fixed up so it could boot from disk. IBM had done this with 709x IBSYS/IBJOB pretty well, so I guess they figured they could do this with TOS/360.

People don't really appreciate that one of the truly smart things IBM did with OS/360 was fully relocatable load modules, and the ability to use load modules in the Linkage Editor as though they were object output from a compiler. As far as I know *nix does not have this capability; certainly Windoze does not. As far as I know z/VSE still ties most binary loadable modules to a storage address. There was a trade off, of course: larger load modules are extremely slow to load, in part to distribute relocation data through the load module so relocation can be done while later sections of the load module are being read into storage.
steve-myers

Postby rsilver » Tue 31 Dec 2013, 03:21

steve-myers wrote:
rsilver wrote:... tdarcos...this works for map assembly

//MAPASM  EXEC DFHMAPS,                                                 
//*                                                                     

... I think I can grant you access to my datasets ...I think that is allowed on Fandezhi...

• The JCLLIB is not necessary: SYSFAN.PROCLIB is already in the JES2 PROC00 definition, and it's the first library there.
  • Mr. Silver can give tdarcos access to his data sets, but the admins discourage this, though they do not prohibit it, and will not provide any assistance. Don't give UPDATE or ALTER; they watch for actual accesses and tend to ban both sides if it happens.
  • Just a few minutes (around 20:00 US Easter time) ago I tried to TSO logon to TDARCOS. I definitely got past where it verifies the ID is authorized to use TSO.

tdarcos...ok not good ideal to grant access ...this is a good system and don't want to break any rules...if you want examples send me a email or visit my web page ...I think I have some on there...I have also worked on MUSIC at NVCC (Northern Virginia Community College) way back in 1990 or so....if you want to know about the Don Higgins' simulation ..google James Francis Cray....he got it to work with DB2 and in the IBM cloud....also heard some guy in South America had the Don Higgins' simulation working with MUSIC James can tell you all about it
Richard (Rick) Silvers

E-mail.......: rsilvers@mebtel.net or rick_silvers@rsilvers.com
My Website: http://www.rsilvers.com/
Webmaster: http://main.nc.us/yancey/
rsilver

Postby steve-myers » Tue 31 Dec 2013, 12:15

tdarcos wrote:... Not strange. SYS1.PROCLIB is the default library for all catalogued JCL procedures; that's been a standard for over 25 years. If you don't define it in your job stream it has to be there, unless you have an immediate Proclib of your own which I think has to be right after your job statement.
Actually, it has been my experience that many (most?) shops use an alternate library for their customized procs so that the target library SYS1.PROCLIB is not disturbed. In this regard Fandezhi is just copying what has been essentially standard industry practice. Back in OS/360 SYS1.PROCLIB was forced, but ever since MVS/JES2 and JES3 came along user modified procs tended to be added to a user library specified in the JES2 startup proc or the JES3 "Inish deck."
steve-myers

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe