User not authorized to use TSO

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

User not authorized to use TSO

Postby dmolony » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 05:33

Hi

I am unable to access TSO today. Is there a problem?

Cheers

Denis
dmolony

Re: User not authorized to use TSO

Postby steve-myers » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 07:15

It appears the ID was disabled because all of your activity consisted of many logons with no apparent attempt to do anything.

For example on Friday between 11 AM and 11 PM you had 2 TSO sessions. The one at 21:41:20 lasted for less than 1 minute and used 2.99 seconds CPU time. The one at 21:44:57 lasted for just over 2 minutes and used 3.37 seconds CPU time. Both sessions showed I/O activity to a variety of system data sets, but no activity to any of your data sets other than your ISPF profile data set. Going back to the end of November, I see no real activity; that's as far back as I can go without preparing a custom extract and analysis. Other than the data sets like your JCL.CNTL that are allocated for you, there are no other data sets in your userid. The admin's notes say you have had 65 LOGONs since your ID was created in October.

Now, I have no idea what you are actually doing. All I can see is SMF data. Nothing is nothing.

If you are having trouble using the system, let us know the nature of the problem. Perhaps the admins can reinstate your ID. We have no idea about your background. MVS usage is radically different than *nix or Windows. A background in these systems does little to prepare someone to use MVS type systems.
steve-myers

Postby dmolony » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 07:52

Hi Steve

The reason I mostly do nothing in my sessions is because I am writing a java-based open-source 3270 terminal emulator, and it's very handy for me to test it against your mainframe. I thought it would be OK as I use hardly any resources (as you pointed out). I also copy the buffers to a local file so that I can do most of my testing offline.

I do also plan to use the mainframe for more practical things in the future, but for the time being I was trying to log in and out without wasting too much machine time creating datasets or running jobs.

My background is previously working as an Adabas/Natural DBA.

Regards

Denis
dmolony

Postby prino » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 10:07

Denis,

As you may have already found out, you've been reinstated,

Looking forward to see your 3270 emulator at some stage, although it will have to be exceptional to wean me off Tom Brennan's Vista TN3270 :)

Robert
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby dmolony » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 10:27

Robert

Thanks very much. I'll let you know when it's finished. BTW I also use Vista, it's a great product but it only runs on Windows :(

Denis

PS I just tried to access the machine but I seem to be still suspended. Do I need to do anything to reset it?
dmolony

Postby prino » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 10:41

I see. You may have to wait a bit longer for the admin on the other side of the Atlantic to wake up, my RACF privileges are too low to reinstate something else.

Sorry,

Robert
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 13:23

dmolony wrote:... for the time being I was trying to log in and out without wasting too much machine time creating datasets or running jobs.
The ID is now fully reinstated.

A full LOGON is actually rather expensive. You'll notice your mini sessions used 3 seconds CPU time - and that does not include time used by JES2 and other system components that do not charge to your session, though that's a lot more than you would use on a real z/Architecture machine. Originally when the admins "banned" a user the user was forcibly logged off while executing the Rexx EXEC run during LOGON. We found banned idiots just tried to logon again, and again, and again ... and this was impacting legitimate users, so the admins resorted to more forceful methods. We still see banned idiots trying and trying and ..., but at least they're cut off before doing more damage.

I think Mr. Prins and I would like it if you could make your emulator readily available to our users when it's ready. I'd hope it's more usable than the free emulator we mention in the Mainframe FAQ section of this web site! I had it installed for a couple of years on my travel laptop. I found it workable, but difficult for a novice to configure, though it appears some of our users got through this and seem to be happy with it.
steve-myers

Postby dmolony » Sun 07 Dec 2014, 22:26

Thanks again. I will certainly make it available when it is ready, it will be good to have so many potential testers :) At the moment I use Vista TN3270 (which is great, but Windows only) and x3270 (which works well but has a very unfriendly user interface).
dmolony

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe