Basic Allocation

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Basic Allocation

Postby Unixtohack » Sun 21 Dec 2014, 11:10

I am an brand new mainframe user without experience, except some AS400 stuff. How can I allocate a basic cobol-type file without to be deleted from this environment. :oops:
Unixtohack

Re: Basic Allocation

Postby prino » Sun 21 Dec 2014, 12:37

FanDeZhi is probably not the best place to gain z/OS experience, as it's a system that meant to be used by experienced z/OS professionals. There is no hand-holding, and the admins, which include me, don't react too kindly to newbies without experience trying to find their way around a system that is a few degrees harder to fathom than Windoze. Teaching yourself "z/OS" is near impossible, and sadly "z/OS for dummies" hasn't been written.

For what it's worth, here is a link that might help you: Google - allocate dataset in mainframe. Before you do, I'd suggest you thoroughly read Rules for using z/OS!

Veel geluk!
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Re: Basic Allocation

Postby Unixtohack » Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:53

Yeah, my own skills are Siemens and Allen Bradley programmable logic controllers which are more and more connected to the IT network systems. I try only to understand some of these, AS400, z/OS and other stuff in this segment. Thanks to your respond but I understand now the level of the skills needed to manage and/or simply 'to use' this kind of systems. I am sure you don't understand much of PLC, but I know for myself I don't understand much of your system. It's so different. In respect of the users and professionals I have deleted my account from the mainframe and after some study (maybe) I will try with a new ticket to find something out.

Thanks and : Happy newyear to all of you !!!
Unixtohack

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe