URL to download the Mainframe emulator

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

URL to download the Mainframe emulator

Postby samaritan » Tue 12 May 2015, 08:19

Hi,

Can anybody provide me an URL to download the emulator please? I have created new TSO User ID but the not able to find url's. Kindly help me on this.

Regards,
Sivaprasad
samaritan

Re: URL to download the Mainframe emulator

Postby nclouston » Tue 12 May 2015, 09:32

Do you want a mainframe emulator or the software to connect your pc to the mainframe? If the latter, you can do what I did - and most other people - google. Or just skim through the posts and pick up ideas of what to google for.
nclouston

Postby prino » Tue 12 May 2015, 09:38

Which emulator?

You want a mainframe emulator? Look for the Hercules.

Or you need a terminal emulator? Look for Tom Brennan's Vista tn3270.

However, given your question, I suggest that you go to a reputable training institute that gives you access to an up-to-date z/OS system as the likelihood that you will last more than a week^H^H^H^Hday on FanDeZhi is probably nil.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Tue 12 May 2015, 09:48

It's not clear what you mean by "mainframe emulator." I am aware of three.
  • PC/370 - This is essentially defunct; it is a 16-bit MSDOS program that will not run under Windoze Vista and more recent versions of Windoze. It has been replaced by
  • z390. z390 is Java and should run under current versions of Windoze.
  • Hercules is a much more interesting emulator. In addition to Hercules you must also obtain an operating system. Hercules + an operating system is a much more difficult task for a neophyte.
None of these have anything to do with Fandezhi. This forum does not support them.

Perhaps you really mean a TN3270 program that emulates an IBM 3270 terminal that you need to connect to Fandezhi. There are several mentioned in the Mainframe FAQ section of this forum. Look there. Or use Google or M$ Bing to find other options. Most of these programs are not free, though most provide a trial version you can use for a limited time.
Last edited by steve-myers on Thu 14 May 2015, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
steve-myers

Postby samaritan » Thu 14 May 2015, 10:29

Thank you for being so kind and for the reply. I will try as you guys suggested.
samaritan

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe