Printer definitions

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Printer definitions

Postby vbcoen » Wed 19 Aug 2015, 17:23

What printer types are defined in the system.

Want to spool the O/P to local to pass through prtspool and ten to enscript to produce a .PDF file that I can utilise.under Linux.

Did have a look to see what was defined within JES2 but cannot see anything assuming I am looking in the right place :)

Ideal type is 1403 or similar.
vbcoen

Re: Printer definitions

Postby steve-myers » Wed 19 Aug 2015, 19:41

There are no printers in Fandezhi.

I can offer a small utility that will transform a data set formatted for a 1403 to an intermediate data set that uses formfeed characters to start a new page, and the other common printer controls transformed to blank lines. It uses JCL like this -
Code: Select all
// EXEC PGM=CNVTM
//SYSUT1 DD -- Input --
//SYSUT2 DD -- Output --
The input can be FBA, FBM, VBA, VBM. You download the output data set to your workstation, and load the file into an advanced word processor. You have to fiddle with page definitions and font definitions, but OpenOffice Writer or LibreOffice Writer can "print" the file to a PDF file. I understand the more recent versions of M$ Word can do this, too, but I don't have the program and can't try it. I can send an example of the output to your userid.
steve-myers

Re: Printer definitions

Postby prino » Wed 19 Aug 2015, 19:43

As far as I know there are no printers defined on the system. If you want to convert output to PDF, I suggest you start looking at Leland Lucius' TXT2PDF package.

If your text is simple, you can also convert it to M$ RTF format and that can in turn be converted to PDF by the likes of LibreOffice... PM me (and include your userid) if you need some examples.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe