Problem setting up new userid

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Problem setting up new userid

Postby Tim001 » Thu 29 Oct 2015, 14:03

Hi,

I applied for a new userid on the DeZhi system, but unfortunately there was a problem with the email address I supplied. When I didn't get the confirmation email for the new userid, I confirmed there was a problem with the email address by trying to send a test email to the address from another email, and it was rejected. I then tried to delete the userid, specifying another email, but I didn't get the confirmation message for that either.

Could you please delete the new userid (TIM001), if it hasn't already been deleted. I'll then set it up again, using an email address that I have just tested works. Sorry for the mess

Thanks,
Tim
Tim001

Re: Problem setting up new userid

Postby steve-myers » Thu 29 Oct 2015, 14:54

Tim - I can confirm there us a TIM001 userid. At this point you have two options.
  • Use the web site to change its password.
  • Use the web site to delete the userid, and then get a new TIM001.
steve-myers

Postby prino » Thu 29 Oct 2015, 15:31

Tim,

You use a .au email address, you registered with an Australian IP address, but can you explain your email adddress, tempxyz1357@...

We can sort of understand why you would use a throwaway(ish) email address to register on the forum, but to do so to register for the z/OS system doesn't seem to be very smart...
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby Tim001 » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 01:55

Steve,

In my situation, can I use the web site to change the password?

The reason I ask that question, which I think is also tied up with why I don't seem to be able to delete the userid, is as follows -

When I tried to delete the userid using the web site, I specified a different email address to the address that I used when applying for the userid (because the initial address turned out not to be working). However I didn't get the email to continue the remove process either. From that I assumed that for security reasons, the remove email would be sent to the same email address as was used to apply for the userid (and hence I wouldn't be able to receive it) as otherwise, presumably anyone would be able to delete a userid.

Hence I'm wondering, if I try to use the web site to change the password, whether the same thing might happen.

I hope all that makes sense...

If security is indeed an issue, perhaps you're reluctant to delete the userid because I haven't proved that I'm the one that requested it initially, which I can understand. If that is the case, is there some way I can send you (or someone) a "private"(?) message, confirming the email address I used to set up the userid?

Robert,

The reason for the tempxyz.... userid is a longish, frustrating story, especially since it was after midnight Australian time when I was doing all this :( ....

I tried to register on the forum with an address of the form xxxxxxxxxx-yyy@zzzz.com. However the registration process rejected the email address. I tried a couple of different values for yyy, but they were all rejected with "the email address you entered is not allowed to be used".

The reason for the format xxxxxxxxxx-yyy is that my email provider zzzz allows you to set up many addresses with a constant xxxxxxxxxx and variable yyy, all connected to the same base address, and I tend to set up a different one for each web site that requires me to specify an email address.

Does the forum not allow the hyphen in email addresses? xxxxxxxxxx and yyy were all letters; or is there a restriction on the length of the email address?

Anyway, I then tried to set up a completely new address with my email provider zzzz. However their registration process now insists that you provide a mobile phone number "for security", and I didn't want to give them my mobile number.

I then remembered that I had set up tempxyz... a few years ago for some testing I was doing. I hadn't used it since, but I found that it was still setup and the password still worked. Hence I used that to register on the forum.

Note that my "normal" email address doesn't have .au at the end, but I confirm that I'm in Australia.

I'm certainly not intending to use tempxyz... to register on the z/OS system

Tim
Tim001

Postby steve-myers » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 02:40

In general, the MVS admins will not delete a userid by request as there is no way it can be verified. Similarly, they will not do a password reset or "resume" a userid for the same reason. The web site uses the E-mail address to verify a delete, password reset, or "resume" an ID. "Resume" is basically null: RACF can be set to "revoke" an ID if there are too many invalid passwords entered for the ID, but FanDeZhi does not use this feature. The admins "revoke" an ID they "bann," but they also remove the ability to use TSO, which cannot be restored by the web site.

I'm afraid you'll have to kiss TIM001 goodbye and start over with a different userid.
steve-myers

Postby Tim001 » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 09:54

Thanks for that Steve.

I was able to successfully set up a new userid TIM000, and I've logged on to the system successfully.

However I'm having a bit of a problem. A few times I didn't do anything on the system for a few minutes, and when I then tried something the "X Wait" indicator came on at the bottom of the 3270 screen. It remained locked for maybe a minute or so, and then it aborted and I got

"Socket read: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. Disconnected."

This happened 4 times I think. Once I was able to reconnect with RECON, but mostly I had to cancel the TSO session via the web site. I could then logon again. Usually I had only left the TSO session inactive for 1 or 2 minutes.

Is this normal? I'm using wc3270.

Tim
Tim001

Postby nclouston » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 11:56

Prino will say "get tom brennan's vista 3270"

I used to use wc3270 and had no problems with it as an emulator - its file transfer was seriously archaic!
nclouston

Postby steve-myers » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 13:02

• LOGON with reconnect - This "feature" rarely works for TCPIP connections. in more recent z/OS releases than the antique we run on FanDeZhi IBM has promised it will work better. The option to cancel your session through the web site requires your password, but not an E-mail address.
  • Your other problems might be an issue with your internet connection. Every once in a while there seem to be issues at FanDeZhi's end, but when I've had problems similar to the ones you described it usually seemed to be at my end.
I briefly used wc3270 on my travel laptop as an experiment, but gave up on it. Many of our users report good results with it, but it is, to be polite, rather clumsy. I think many of our users reporting good results with wc3270 have never been exposed to "better" emulators, and just struggle on with it.

The Vista emulator that Mr. Clouston mentioned has one huge advantage compared with all other emulators. Its author uses our system from time to time, so if you have trouble its author can connect to FanDeZhi to recreate your problem.

Me? I use a competitor I used starting in 2000. It's more expensive than Vista, but something like US $20 is a drop in the bucket. In 15 years I've had 2 issues. One I resolved on my own. The other was resolved through their customer support which was reasonably responsive; they got back to me within a few hours after I sent them an E-mail.
steve-myers

Postby prino » Fri 30 Oct 2015, 17:44

nclouston wrote:Prino will say "get tom brennan's vista 3270"

I used to use wc3270 and had no problems with it as an emulator - its file transfer was seriously archaic!

Tom Brennan's Vista tn3270 probably has just as much trouble with the reconnect feature as anything else, as Steve mentions it's supposed to be better in newer versions of z/OS, but we're (probably) stuck with 1.6, the upgrade to 1.9 never materialized. If you want to run something more up-to-date, you can PM me for details... :mrgreen:

As for file transfers, set up an FTP server on your box at home and you can do FTP transfers, rather than IND$FILE ones. I use FileZilla Server in combination with a semi-static IP address obtained via DynDNS, I paid USD 29(?) including the discount for five years, if you take out a free account you'll get plenty of offers for discounts.

And as for losing the connection, if my PC sleeps or hibernates, it's guaranteed to be dropped.

Final addition for Tim: If you want to have RACF READ access for my 'PRINO.RAHP.*' PDS'es, drop me a PM. 'PRINO.RAHP.EXEC' is probably the one of most interest - don't try to access them before I give you access, or for that matter any other datasets not having a HLQ of TIM000!
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby steve-myers » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 02:56

Tim001 wrote:... their registration process now insists that you provide a mobile phone number "for security", and I didn't want to give them my mobile number. ...
Security. My ass. I don't give out my mobile number to any service provider for any reason. I figure they'll sell it or, best case, send me useless text messages. Since I do not have a "smart" phone and no data plan, these useless text messages cost me $0.20 each. Thanks, but no thanks.
steve-myers

Postby Tim001 » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 07:26

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Perhaps I should emphasise that I'm getting the dropout problem after only 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity on my part. The PC hasn't hibernated, the screen saver hasn't activated, and the wc3270 screen still has the focus and is (apparently) active. However, when I do anything (even just pressing ENTER), it locks up and then it drops out. This hasn't happened while I have been "actively" using TSO.

But the version of wc3270 I'm using is about 3 or so years old - I downloaded it when I discovered and installed Hercules. I'll download the latest version and try that. For the moment I'll try sticking to the free 3270 options.

Looking back at my notes when I installed wc3270 for Hercules, I see that wc3270 has a standard version and a "secure" version, and the secure version "requires separate OpenSSL library". This wasn't a consideration for Hercules, for which all components are on my PC, but should I be installing the secure version to access FanDeZhi? I have to advise that I'm a complete novice when it comes to OpenSSL - would you have to install something similar on FanDeZhi for me to use it, or (more likely) do you already have something like that?

I did a couple of ind$file file transfers with wc3270 and they worked O.K. However they were small files. If I start to use file transfer a bit I'll look into FTP.

prino wrote:.....don't try to access them before I give you access, or for that matter any other datasets not having a HLQ of TIM000!

I assume it's still O.K. to look at some SYS1.* and SYSFAN.* datasets, as mentioned in a post (or maybe it was a FAQ) in the forum earlier this year? e.g. I looked at SYS1.PROCLIB and SYSFAN.PROCLIB to see if I could find any catalogued procs for FORTRAN - before I did what I should have done in the first place and looked at the forum, where I found a post stating that you don't have FORTRAN on the system!

The comments about "antique" versions of z/OS are making me feel old....! The company I used to work for decommissioned its' mainframe in about 2003, and I was retrenched a couple of years later. I'm not actually sure what the last installed version of MVS was, but probably OS/390 or maybe even MVS/ESA. And I'm running MVS 3.8 on Hercules... I missed using a mainframe, and was pleased when I discovered Hercules. However the MVS that runs on Hercules doesn't include ISPF (although RPF and RFE/REVIEW are pretty good substitutes), and it's good to use ISPF again on FanDeZhi. Any version of z/OS, which I had never used till now, will seem modern to me!

It appears IBM are still keeping things upwards compatible. The ISPF menus still look pretty familiar, and I've had no problems using ISPF so far. I remember how, when my company's mainframe was decommissioned, we were still running PL/1 F programs written in the 1970s!

steve-myers wrote:
Tim001 wrote:... their registration process now insists that you provide a mobile phone number "for security", and I didn't want to give them my mobile number. ...
Security. My ass. I don't give out my mobile number to any service provider for any reason. I figure they'll sell it or, best case, send me useless text messages. Since I do not have a "smart" phone and no data plan, these useless text messages cost me $0.20 each. Thanks, but no thanks.

Steve, I totally agree. I don't have a smart phone or data plan either, and since I'm in Australia and the email provider is (presumably) in the USA, text messages would cost me considerably more than 20c each! I don't give out my mobile number to any companies or service providers, only family and friends.
Tim001

Postby prino » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 10:12

Tim001 wrote:
steve-myers wrote:

Steve, I totally agree. I don't have a smart phone or data plan either, and since I'm in Australia and the email provider is (presumably) in the USA, text messages would cost me considerably more than 20c each! I don't give out my mobile number to any companies or service providers, only family and friends.

Are you guys telling me that in the US and down-under you have to pay for receiving text messages? Sheesh...
Anyway, the only large company that has my mobile phone number is Google, as I use their two-step verification to log in to Gmail.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby Tim001 » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 13:55

prino wrote:
Tim001 wrote:
steve-myers wrote:Security. My ass. I don't give out my mobile number to any service provider for any reason. I figure they'll sell it or, best case, send me useless text messages. Since I do not have a "smart" phone and no data plan, these useless text messages cost me $0.20 each. Thanks, but no thanks.

Are you guys telling me that in the US and down-under you have to pay for receiving text messages? Sheesh...
Anyway, the only large company that has my mobile phone number is Google, as I use their two-step verification to log in to Gmail.

Robert,

Mostly in Australia the sender has to pay for text messages, not the receiver. However I believe that in some circumstances the receiver has to pay, but I don't know the details. But even if I don't pay for them, I don't want marketing text messages from any company

Tim
Tim001

Postby steve-myers » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 23:56

Tim001 wrote:... Mostly in Australia the sender has to pay for text messages, not the receiver. However I believe that in some circumstances the receiver has to pay, but I don't know the details. But even if I don't pay for them, I don't want marketing text messages from any company ...

Obviously I don't send text messages, but I think I'm charged $0.20 each sending or receiving. I took the $0.20 from my previous cell phone provider, which was $0.20 each, though you could get it completely disabled which I did after a few turned up on a bill

I went off the my cell phone's service provider's web site. I could not find a statement about texting without a text/data plan. I don't know what would happen if someone would try to send me a text message. Their cheapest text/data plan allows 300 texts + %0.10 per text over 300.
steve-myers

Postby Tim001 » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 09:16

I downloaded the latest version of wc3270 and tried it out.

The good news was, it displays 43 lines (3278 mod 4? can't remember now) rather than 24 lines (mod 2?), which is good - makes editing a big file easier.

However the bad news was, it hasn't fixed my line dropout problem.... The screen still locks up and then drops out if I leave the 3270 session unattended for a couple of minutes.
Tim001

Next

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe