Problem setting up new userid

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Re: Problem setting up new userid

Postby prino » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 09:57

Tim001 wrote:I downloaded the latest version of wc3270 and tried it out.

The good news was, it displays 43 lines (3278 mod 4? can't remember now) rather than 24 lines (mod 2?), which is good - makes editing a big file easier.

However the bad news was, it hasn't fixed my line dropout problem.... The screen still locks up and then drops out if I leave the 3270 session unattended for a couple of minutes.

If you've got a really big monitor (like full HD), you can, not sure if wc3270 supports this, get even more screen real-estate, I use a 62 x 160 screen.

As for the dropout problem, isn't there a stay-alive setting in wc3270? And for what it's worth, Tom Brennan's Vista tn3270 is free for 30 days, suggest you give that a try and see it that solves the problem.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 16:59

I don't know what's going on. For all its faults the wc3270 I tried several years ago did not drop out as you're describing. I sort of recall a similar problem several years ago that seemed to have something to do with Fandezhi's local network, but that, as I recall, affected every one. The sessions I started about 12:40 AM this morning are still running, and they replaced sessions that ran from October 28, 09:51 to November 1, 00:39.

Fandezhi does not support the "secure" TN3270.
steve-myers

Postby Tim001 » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 09:31

steve-myers wrote:Your other problems might be an issue with your internet connection. Every once in a while there seem to be issues at FanDeZhi's end, but when I've had problems similar to the ones you described it usually seemed to be at my end.

I've still got a dialup internet account, and I decided to try FanDeZhi with that. Guess what - it didn't drop out, even after I left it unattended for about 10 minutes at one stage.

Hence it would appear that my normal internet is the problem. It's a pre-paid 4G USB, with a SIM card. Broadband is expensive in Australia and this is a bit cheaper, and doesn't lock you into a plan for 12, 24, whatever months.

But dialup is now too slow and pretty much unusable with most web sites, with all their graphics etc.

Since it's my internet connection that's the problem, it would seem that trying a different 3270 emulator won't help. But I might try that if I don't get anywhere with wc3270.

I have tried out a lot of different options when invoking wc3270 to see if any of them help, but nothing so far.

However in all my testing I seem to have stumbled over a way to logon with reconnect, with wc3270 anyway. I'll create a new topic with the details.

Tim
Tim001

Previous

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe