Additional compilers used on MVS Turnkey

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Additional compilers used on MVS Turnkey

Postby Tim001 » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 05:08

I tried out the FORTRAN G and H compilers with small test programs, and they worked fine.

Note that for FORTRAN H I had to specify a region on the JOB card, since otherwise the binder aborts with an insufficient memory message. I don’t know what the default region size for jobs is on FanDeZhi, but I specified REGION=2048K and that worked O.K.

From an old FORTRAN programmer who used these compilers on a real S360/65 with MVT 40+ years ago, thanks for setting them up!

Tim
Tim001

Re: Additional compilers used on MVS Turnkey

Postby prino » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 08:29

Tim001 wrote:I tried out the FORTRAN G and H compilers with small test programs, and they worked fine.

That's flipping impressive for software that's 40(ish) years old!

Tim001 wrote:Note that for FORTRAN H I had to specify a region on the JOB card, since otherwise the binder aborts with an insufficient memory message. I don’t know what the default region size for jobs is on FanDeZhi, but I specified REGION=2048K and that worked O.K.

From an old FORTRAN programmer who used these compilers on a real S360/65 with MVT 40+ years ago, thanks for setting them up!

I'll go through the JCL, and will try to bring it more up-to-date, have already done so for some of them (IF ... THEN ... ENDIF logic), and in my EXEC library I have EJCLFMT, an edit macro to completely clean up JCL, feel free to give it a try (copy it to SYSFAN.USER.REXXLIB, you have RACF UPDATE access to this PDS) on personal copies of the procedures, standard invocation is just EJCLFMT while in edit, but invoke it as "EJCLFMT NOPROC" if the results are not good, it currently has some no-FanDeZhi hard-coded things in it that I need to change.

Off to Germany for a few days, back on Sunday, and probably little or no internet access during these days.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby Tim001 » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 08:54

I've only very recently become aware of IF THEN ELSE etc for return code testing. I'm more used to ..,COND=(4,LT) etc. I'll have to consult an up to date JCL manual!!
Tim001

Postby prino » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 09:01

Tim001 wrote:I've only very recently become aware of IF THEN ELSE etc for return code testing. I'm more used to ..,COND=(4,LT) etc. I'll have to consult an up to date JCL manual!!

IF-THEN-ELSE-ENDIF is much easier to understand, but has one huge disadvantage, it cannot be overridden, although EJCLFMT is capable of parametrizing returncodes. Look at 'prino.rahp.cntl(@zos23)' for a fairly good example of what can be done with parametrized IF statements, and you can also see the SET var=value in action.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby Tim001 » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 09:15

Tim001 wrote:Note that for FORTRAN H I had to specify a region on the JOB card, since otherwise the binder aborts with an insufficient memory message. I don’t know what the default region size for jobs is on FanDeZhi, but I specified REGION=2048K and that worked O.K.

It is no longer necessary to include a REGION on the JOB card for FORTRAN H. I hadn't noticed that there were REGION parameters with small values on the EXEC cards for the IEWL steps in 'SYSC.PROCLIB', but Robert did and he has removed them.

Tim
Tim001

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe