Creating XMIT file on a PC

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Creating XMIT file on a PC

Postby michel123 » Mon 16 Aug 2010, 12:18

Hello,

Yesterday I managed to send files to my PC via Filezilla and follow the directions proposed by Prino.
My question: is there a software to create a PC directly XMIT file format?

Thank you.

Michel.
michel123

Re: Creating XMIT file on a PC

Postby steve-myers » Mon 16 Aug 2010, 13:47

I don't know of any.

If you have access to a main frame type computer (and since you using this web site we all know you do), it is much easier to create them on your mainframe, possible doctor them up using mainframe tools to hide their origin, and download them to your PC as a binary file.

If you have text data on a PC upload the text data as text data (and translate it to EBCDIC from ASCII) using the usual tools, and use the XMIT command to create an XMIT file, though why you would want to do this I can't imagine since it is much simpler to just send the original text file. You can also play this game with binary files such as executable programs, word processing documents or spreadsheets in their native format, but it is much easier to send them directly.

The other question is why do you want to do this? XMIT files are normally created on the mainframe by the XMIT command; they have a slightly funky format and use the EBCDIC character set. On a PC they are in what is called the "binary" format. More often than not the mainframe data in an XMIT file is an IEBCOPY unloaded PDS, which is very funky from the point of view of a PC.

The only major source of XMIT files on a PC is they are the primary distribution media for the "CBT" web site; but those were initially created on a mainframe, downloaded to a PC and then uploaded to the "CBT" site.

There is a utility to read XMIT files on a PC, but it is kind of flaky. I got it years ago, but don't use it. If I have an XMIT file on a PC I usually upload it to a mainframe, receive it, and then check to see what is in it using mainframe tools
steve-myers

Postby prino » Mon 16 Aug 2010, 19:11

The Tachyon File Tools contain a tool to build XMIT files on the PC. It's commercial software and I guess that, like everything mainframe, it will be out of reach for mere mortals like us.

On the other hand, if it's just a flat file you want to convert to an XMIT file, then you can write the code from scratch, as the XMIT format for such files is well-documented in the "TSO/E Customisation" manual, SA22-7783-09, "Chapter 38. Customizing TRANSMIT and RECEIVE", and more specific sub-topics 5.13.17 and 5.13.18 - here. Of course you will have to use the correct codepage for ASCII-EBCDIC translation to translate your PC data, but a few dozen lines of REXX should do the trick.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby prino » Mon 16 Aug 2010, 19:21

steve-myers wrote:There is a utility to read XMIT files on a PC, but it is kind of flaky. I got it years ago, but don't use it. If I have an XMIT file on a PC I usually upload it to a mainframe, receive it, and then check to see what is in it using mainframe tools

Neil Johnston Ward's XMIT Manager is OK, and can handle PS and PO files. Also to be found on the CBT site is Edgar Hofmann's improved RECV390, but that is inside an XMIT file, leading to a chicken-and-egg situation. It can only handle PDS'es and has a very incomplete default EBCDIC-to-ASCII translate table, but it can handle external translate tables. It comes with source, so you can play around with it yourself. The good thing (for me) is that it strips sequence numbers and trailing blanks (can be disabled) when it extracts PDS members.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby michel123 » Tue 17 Aug 2010, 09:07

Hello,

I will not answer today, because yesterday after asking the question on the forum, I could go back. I had a message that my IP address was undesirable. Now it working again.

So, thank you for all your answers, but I think I lost in imagining create files in formats XMIT PC side. It serves no purpose and the reverse is true, I now realize.
In fact, what interests me primarily is that you can calmly look on paper for future programs that I developed on the mainframe, on my PC to read when printed. I realized yesterday test transfers a PO file with XMI format (Option 6 of ISPF) and I could read it properly with the software XMIT Manager. It's ok.

I have yet to automate this procedure by JCL transfer, I'll work today, revealing it must be confessed, FTP.

He must apologize for my poor English, but I am French and speaks very little about your language.

Thank you all.

MIchel
michel123

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe