IBM Introduction to System z® Mini-Boot Camp on Dezhi?

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Re: IBM Introduction to System z® Mini-Boot Camp on Dezhi?

Postby Rakesh kotha » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:08

jhonga :

There is a command to export those attributes of files to a dataset.

Go to 3.4, Give the alias name you want to search on. Then use " SAVE LIST" in command line. This will save the attributes of all those datasets listed in 3.4 to a flat file called "ID.LIST.DATASETS" where ID is your TSO ID.
Thanks
Rakesh Kotha
CICS & MQ System Programmer
Rakesh kotha

Postby rsilver » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:17

jhonga wrote:
monitor wrote:There is no need to use the FTP to upload the files from the zprof folder that you probably downloaded from IBM. Just transfer the files using your 3270-emulator (Transfer/Send files to host).
- Send the file as binary to a datasetname you chose yourself.
- Look in the Exercise_Setup document ( in the zprof folder/map) how to use the Receive command to create the target datset for the file you just uploaded to the dataset you named yoyrself.
Has been tested for some files and works fine.

Hi,
I'm trying to upload a file from my zprof folder on my pc with the tso utility 3.7 (dowload/upload datasets from/to workstation).
I've uploaded a data set that must to be uploaded as sequential text data set and I've used the Receive command to create the target dataset. It works fine.

Then when I'm trying to upload other files following this instructions:
THE FOLLOWING DATA SETS MUST BE UPLOADED AS SEQUENTIAL BINARY DATA SETS, THEN THE SEQ. UNLOADED DATA SETS MUST BE 'RECEIVED' INTO A PDS

it doesn't work.
How I should set the data set for upload the second type of data sets?

Thanky you

The 3.7.2 works just as well with BINARY, just space out the slash (/) at the Transfer in text mode option

Code: Select all
                 -------------------------------------------                 
                 |  Transfer Data Set To/From Workstation  |                 
                 |           Transfer in text mode         |                 

The Transfer in text mode field determine whether the file transfer is done 
 in text mode (with ASCII to EBCDIC translation) or in binary mode (without   
 any translation).                                                           
Richard (Rick) Silvers

E-mail.......: rsilvers@mebtel.net or rick_silvers@rsilvers.com
My Website: http://www.rsilvers.com/
Webmaster: http://main.nc.us/yancey/
rsilver

Postby jhonga » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 15:43

Rakesh kotha wrote:jhonga :

Go to 3.4, Give the alias name you want to search on. Then use " SAVE LIST" in command line. This will save the attributes of all those datasets listed in 3.4 to a flat file called "ID.LIST.DATASETS" where ID is your TSO ID.

Hi Rakesh,

I've just tried it out and the result is simply amazing!
Thank you!
Gianni
jhonga

Postby jhonga » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 16:02

rsilver wrote:
jhonga wrote:
monitor wrote:There is no need to use the FTP to upload the files from the zprof folder that you probably downloaded from IBM. Just transfer the files using your 3270-emulator (Transfer/Send files to host).
- Send the file as binary to a datasetname you chose yourself.
- Look in the Exercise_Setup document ( in the zprof folder/map) how to use the Receive command to create the target datset for the file you just uploaded to the dataset you named yoyrself.
Has been tested for some files and works fine.

Hi,
I'm trying to upload a file from my zprof folder on my pc with the tso utility 3.7 (dowload/upload datasets from/to workstation).
I've uploaded a data set that must to be uploaded as sequential text data set and I've used the Receive command to create the target dataset. It works fine.

Then when I'm trying to upload other files following this instructions:
THE FOLLOWING DATA SETS MUST BE UPLOADED AS SEQUENTIAL BINARY DATA SETS, THEN THE SEQ. UNLOADED DATA SETS MUST BE 'RECEIVED' INTO A PDS

it doesn't work.
How I should set the data set for upload the second type of data sets?

Thanky you

The 3.7.2 works just as well with BINARY, just space out the slash (/) at the Transfer in text mode option

|  Transfer Data Set To/From Workstation  |                 
                 |           Transfer in text mode         |                 

The Transfer in text mode field determine whether the file transfer is done 
 in text mode (with ASCII to EBCDIC translation) or in binary mode (without   
 any translation).                                                           

Hi Rick,

thanks to your detailed guide to how to install and setup Work Station Agent (WSA) I was able to upload/download all the data sets and files with no effort.
Thanks again for the tips, I'm learning so much stuff here more than my period of supervised training!
Gianni
jhonga

Postby rsilver » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 16:40

jhonga wrote:

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you!

Another short cut for =3.4 is ISPF command DSLIST. DSLIST and 3.4 are same thing.

Examples:
dslist 'userid.*' will show all your data sets if you have the slash in / Include Additional Qualifiers. If the slash is not there will show all userid.name, such as userid.cobol, userid.exec, etc.

dslist with no parameter will show Personal Data Set Lists for Append panel, this is for reference list in ISPF, great way to keep track of data sets and it will also show REFLIST. ISPF maintains the last 30 data sets you have edited viewed and I think browsed

dslist COBOL with no quotes will show your USERID.COBOL - ISPF will automatically append you userid as the first high level qualifier

Once your are on the dslist panel press the PF1 (Help) and it will show you all the line and primary commands you can use from DSLIST (3.4). I never use 1 View
or 2 Edit. I always use dslist and have reference list setup to work with data sets. Much easier and you odn't have to keep flipping around in the panels, can do everything from dslist (3.4)

If you want to create Reference list, do this from DSLIST (3.4)

1. Type RA beside the data set and press Enter

RA USERID.COBOL
USERID.COPYLIB
USERID.JCL

2. Type in a name for the List Name . . .if you want to learn more press PF1 (Help), describes reference list
3. Press enter and the reference list is created
4. Type dslist the name you put in step 2 and it will bring up the data sets you added to the reference list in step 2

The great thing about reference list is you can have different First level qualifiers in the list and be looking at them in DSLIST (3.4) at the same time
like this

QMF810.SDSQEXCE
USERID.COBOL
SYSFAN.REXXLIB

The ISPF primary command APPEND also does the same thing from DSLIST (3.4). Example append 'some data set'
or just type APPEND and the Personal Data Set Lists for Append panel will be displayed and you can choose from that

And always remember the PF1 (Help) key is a good friend on ISPF
Richard (Rick) Silvers

rsilver

Postby jhonga » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 18:08

rsilver wrote:
jhonga wrote:

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you!

Another short cut for =3.4 is ISPF command DSLIST. DSLIST and 3.4 are same thing.

Examples:
dslist 'userid.*' will show all your data sets if you have the slash in / Include Additional Qualifiers. If the slash is not there will show all userid.name, such as userid.cobol, userid.exec, etc.

dslist with no parameter will show Personal Data Set Lists for Append panel, this is for reference list in ISPF, great way to keep track of data sets and it will also show REFLIST. ISPF maintains the last 30 data sets you have edited viewed and I think browsed

dslist COBOL with no quotes will show your USERID.COBOL - ISPF will automatically append you userid as the first high level qualifier

Once your are on the dslist panel press the PF1 (Help) and it will show you all the line and primary commands you can use from DSLIST (3.4). I never use 1 View
or 2 Edit. I always use dslist and have reference list setup to work with data sets. Much easier and you odn't have to keep flipping around in the panels, can do everything from dslist (3.4)

If you want to create Reference list, do this from DSLIST (3.4)

1. Type RA beside the data set and press Enter

RA USERID.COBOL
USERID.COPYLIB
USERID.JCL

2. Type in a name for the List Name . . .if you want to learn more press PF1 (Help), describes reference list
3. Press enter and the reference list is created
4. Type dslist the name you put in step 2 and it will bring up the data sets you added to the reference list in step 2

The great thing about reference list is you can have different First level qualifiers in the list and be looking at them in DSLIST (3.4) at the same time
like this

QMF810.SDSQEXCE
USERID.COBOL
SYSFAN.REXXLIB

The ISPF primary command APPEND also does the same thing from DSLIST (3.4). Example append 'some data set'
or just type APPEND and the Personal Data Set Lists for Append panel will be displayed and you can choose from that

And always remember the PF1 (Help) key is a good friend on ISPF

Hi Rick,

using now Reference List I can see how much efficiently can be working with different data sets having different First level qualifiers and have them all in DSLIST at the same time!
Using Help I've found that i can manage my reference list in ISPF 11 Workplace..cool.

Thanks again!
Gianni
jhonga

Postby rsilver » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 20:08

youre welcome . . .ISPF 11 is a good tool also, you can work with regular data sets or PC files (View or Edit with ISPF Editor). since you have the ISPF C/S installed and working try some editing or viewing of PC files from ISPF Workplace with ISPF editor

Smart Action                   ISPF Workplace                                 
Action ===> e                                                 Scroll ===> 0005

Data Set, DSLIST Level, or Workstation File                                   
   Object Name . . . C:\folder\file.txt                                     
   Volume Serial . .         (For actions that require a volume serial)       

And also try ISPF command REFOPEND - you can also manage your reference lists from here, add to them, add descriptions, add/update/delete data sets from a reference list, etc . . .thats what I like about ISPF, you can use the panels or commands to navigate/work and usually there are 2 or 3 different ways you can do the same thing.
Richard (Rick) Silvers

rsilver

Postby jhonga » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:17

rsilver wrote:youre welcome . . .ISPF 11 is a good tool also, you can work with regular data sets or PC files (View or Edit with ISPF Editor). since you have the ISPF C/S installed and working try some editing or viewing of PC files from ISPF Workplace with ISPF editor

And also try ISPF command REFOPEND - you can also manage your reference lists from here, add to them, add descriptions, add/update/delete data sets from a reference list, etc . . .thats what I like about ISPF, you can use the panels or commands to navigate/work and usually there are 2 or 3 different ways you can do the same thing.

Wow...ISPF editor is so powerful. Now I can even edit local PC files from ISPF editor.

Now I've changed the terminal emulator from "wc3270" (the only free I think) to "EXTRA! X-treme" and I've noticed how much customizations it can be done on the emulator.

Which terminal emulator do you use?
Gianni
jhonga

Postby rsilver » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:50

jhonga wrote:
rsilver wrote:youre welcome . . .ISPF 11 is a good tool also, you can work with regular data sets or PC files (View or Edit with ISPF Editor). since you have the ISPF C/S installed and working try some editing or viewing of PC files from ISPF Workplace with ISPF editor

Wow...ISPF editor is so powerful. Now I can even edit local PC files from ISPF editor.

Now I've changed the terminal emulator from "wc3270" (the only free I think) to "EXTRA! X-treme" and I've noticed how much customizations it can be done on the emulator.

Which terminal emulator do you use?

I agree ISPF EDIT is "totally powerful" and combined with ISPF C/S and WSA it makes it "More Powerful". If you have ever had to fumble around with
Notepad or Wordpad trying to create test data, you probably know what I mean. Now you can do it with ISPF EDIT on the PC and it is totally easy.

Bluezone 3270/5250 at home QWS3270 at work, I think "EXTRA! X-treme" is the very expensive one
Richard (Rick) Silvers

rsilver

Previous

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe