Problems logging in

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Problems logging in

Postby drdot » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 07:57

Greetings.

I'm new to mainframes, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

I attempt to connect to TSO and am immediately logged off. Is there anything that I'm missing or should have done to keep this from happening (again)?

Thanks.

Roger
drdot

Re: Problems logging in

Postby prino » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 08:52

drdot wrote:I'm new to mainframes, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

Who are you kidding?

You had a full violation on a RACF command, and you tried to use SMP. Neither of these two actions are likely to be undertaken by a someone who's new to mainframes.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby drdot » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 20:18

Actually, it is if this person is looking around at things he's never seen before, trying to see what they do (and relying on error messages to tell him where he's not supposed to be). As a matter of fact, I don't even know what RACF is. I saw the menu item, figured that since I can see it I should be able to snoop around, and go from there.

So am I permanently banned? Or am I going to be able to learn from this experience and avoid RACF like the plague?
drdot

Postby nclouston » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 22:01

If you do not know what RACF is then you do not have the expertise to be let loose on a mainframe without supervision. Dehzhi is for people who have sufficient knowledge to stay out of trouble whilst they learn some other skills - in my case I have been learning COBOL/CICS and PL1/CICS and causing grief only to myself because I know the limits which have been learned over the last 39 years.
nclouston

Postby steve-myers » Tue 25 Sep 2012, 01:36

drdot wrote:... As a matter of fact, I don't even know what RACF is. I saw the menu item, figured that since I can see it I should be able to snoop around, and go from there. ...
Well, in all fairness, I didn't even know there was a RACF menu option in Fandezhi! I did know there were RACF ISPF panels from other jobs when I did use the panels, but i had not looked for them in Fandezhi because I'm not a RACF admin, and, in any event, I would use the commands rather than the panels. DRDOT stumbled on them, innocently, I hope, and then, innocently (again, I hope) selected SYSTEM OPTIONS, and then DISPLAY, not knowing this does anger the admins. Actually, this is almost the only thing in the panels a true RACF admin would use since the admin can conveniently scroll through a large amount of output, which is not possible when using the regular commands!

Another user I presume the admins blocked tried something not even possible in the panels!

There are a few things any user can do in the RACF panels, but they are few and far between; displaying system options is not one of them.

Perhaps prino can update the panel that starts the RACF panel to include a warning to stay away. The same is true of SMP/E in the same panel, which DRDOT also apparently tried. There are other things in the IBM Products Panel I didn't even know existed!
steve-myers

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe