Allocated DSN Browse Problem

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Allocated DSN Browse Problem

Postby Stevemo » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 16:15

Hi,

I believe that my MORR ID has been revoked.

I was looking at my preallocated libraries using ISRDDN trying to figure out if there was something to compile a REXX with(ie. REXXCOMP or equivalent). I have used output from this type of compile in the past using the output generated to review the structure of my loops, etc as it provided excellent indentation for imbedded loops and could pinpoint a fall-out problem. Also, the output listing of the variables used is handy so I can optimize my code and remove redudant entries.

I didn't attempt to try browsing datasets that are not part of my logon pre-allocations as I thought they would be safe as they are preallocated to my session. But, I think I am mistaken and should not "assume" anything.

I apologize for the intrusion and would like to request to be reinstated if permitted. And next time, I will just learn to ask about a particular module in your forum first instead.

Sincerely,

Steve M.
Stevemo

Re: Allocated DSN Browse Problem

Postby steve-myers » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 17:02

Stevemo wrote:... I was looking at my preallocated libraries using ISRDDN trying to figure out if there was something to compile a REXX with(ie. REXXCOMP or equivalent). I have used output from this type of compile in the past using the output generated to review the structure of my loops, etc as it provided excellent indentation for imbedded loops and could pinpoint a fall-out problem. Also, the output listing of the variables used is handy so I can optimize my code and remove redudant entries.

I didn't attempt to try browsing datasets that are not part of my logon pre-allocations as I thought they would be safe as they are preallocated to my session. But, I think I am mistaken and should not "assume" anything. ...
You do not get dozens of attempts to update the master catalog "browsing" data sets. Period. Full stop. You are correct that it is safe to "browse" the preallocated data sets. I do not know what you were trying to do, but you were not, repeat not, browsing data sets. I do not believe the Rexx "compiler" is installed in Fandezhi.
steve-myers

Postby steve-myers » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:28

Well, there is a REXXCOMP load module in the link list. There is something strange about it, though. It is an alias of FANCOMP and it was linked in 2011, where most of the system was linked in 2006. The data set name where it is located suggests it was prepared by one of the system programmers that built our system.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Rexx user, so I can't attempt to use it. It took me all of 2 minutes to find it, though I used a tool to search the link list I wrote 20 years ago. I spent perhaps 15 minutes investigating it, and the investigation created not one RACF violation.
steve-myers

Postby Stevemo » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 19:26

Thanks for verifying the REXXCOMP alias and that it does exist.

I was really adhering to policy. The only other thing I remember doing is using 3.4 to see if there was a SYS*.REXX* listed, but nothing showed up.

However, while I was in ISRDDN and put 'B's by some of the members I wanted to view quickly, an audible beep alarm did sound on some of them, but I didn't see any system message
to confirm the contrary. I am wondering if something got triggered this way?

Otherwise, I have only been working on a REXX and some skeletal JCL that was getting to the point that I wanted to rewrite a bit and simplfy where I could. I felt that a Rexx compile would provide the
proper output I could use to help guide me through part of my optimization effort.

I am really at a loss at this point as to what happened.

Thanks,
Steve M.
Stevemo

Postby steve-myers » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 19:56

I don't use ISRDDN. I had trouble getting it started. I tried doing what you described. No trouble. Did you try executing some of the Rexx EXECs you may have found, not that that's a valid excuse.
steve-myers

Postby Stevemo » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 20:30

Nothing was attempted to execute. Just browsing the member list in each PDS to see if I something looked familiar.

I was in Option 6 command line and just entered ISRDDN. Then I went down the new window list and started browsing especially those members in ISPPROC and ISPEXEC areas.

Not sure what triggered the master alarm, but I did observe those audible beeps when I browsed some of them.

I am here for another hour today and have time to try to repeat what I did if you would like.
And it was idle time for a curious idea that got me into this spot in the first place! :o)

Steve M.
Stevemo

Postby prino » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 20:47

What are you running, Windoze or Linux? If the former, you could install TeamViewer and let me look over your shoulder, while at the same time looking at the log here. Probably won't be able to do that today, as there's something on the telly in 15 minutes that I want to watch (for an hour). Give it some thought, and if you use Skype that would make things even easier.

If the silent admin reads this, PM me if you're OK with this scenario - BTW, if we cannot do it tonight, you may have to be patient until next week as yours truly doesn't have much time tomorrow (2012-12-13) and no time at all on Fri/Sa/Su.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 20:56

I have my laptop speaker muted, and (I think) my emulator set to not not make noise. I browsed ISPEXEC. I don't have a ISPPROC.
steve-myers

Postby Stevemo » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 21:26

Whoops. Started to think more Rexx. SYSPROC would make more sense.

Do you think this might more RACF profile related to my ID?

Just curious..
Stevemo

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe